NAAHBCU and Fort Valley State University is accepting artworks that explore Afrofuturism in traditional and contemporary visual art. Afrofuturism is defined as an aesthetic tradition used to examine, interrogate and re-imagine dominate cultural narratives of Black experiences across the Diaspora. Afrofuturism infuses elements of technology, music and pop culture, Afrocentrism, science fiction, magical realism, historical fantasy and is effective in helping visual artists’ articulatenew subjectivities as well as new realities. Please feel free to artistically interpret the various activities within Afrofuturism. Artists interested in participating, should submit works of art related to this year’s theme.
This is a juried exhibition that will include a documented color catalog. Completed works are dues August 17, 2015. Please include images and artist statements can within an email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. For the first time, there will be an exhibition for college students, as well as a professional members’ exhibition. Students’ exhibition will take place Friday evening at our FVSU Art Studioand Gallery Center, located in downtown Fort Valley, Georgia. Students do not haveto become members of the organization in order to participate. The professional members’ exhibition will take place on Thursday evening, October 8, 2015, at the picturesque new facility of the Tubman African American Museum in Macon, Georgia. Please be advised professionals that in order to participate in the exhibition, you must be a current member.
• Artists may submit no more than two entries. Each entry must be individually label with artist’s name, title, medium, presentation size, year completed andviewing orientation.
• Two-dimensional pieces should not exceed 48 inches in any direction.
• Three-dimensional pieces should not exceed 36 inches in any direction and must not be heavier than 40 pounds.
• The Tubman will charge an additional fee for unusual hanging that is difficult to put on display. Fort Valley State University will not be responsible for additional cost. If the work proves to be too difficult to hang, the piece will not be allowed to be in the exhibition. Therefore, please keep the hanging simplified.
• Images must be in JPEG format and include the following Information: title, size, and medium.
• Price list included
• Artwork will not be insured.
• All accepted pieces must be received by September 21, 2015.
• All information must be email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.